Friday, July 17, 2009

Post induced by Pushed

I'm rereading Pushed. 'Cause it really is that good. And I swear I want to quote a sentence from every paragraph... but I'll limit myself to a few quotations.
"An induction absent a solid indication absolutely increases all risk to mom and baby. . . . Just by the mere fact of induction, you've now intervened in a pregnancy that otherwise would have continued, and you've already increased the risk of C-section."

"Macrosomia is not a reasonable indication for induction."


(Laura Riley, MD, medical director of labor and deliver at Massachusetts General Hospital and former chair of the ACOG practice committee, qtd in Pushed, p. 8-9)

"That one kills me [said in reference to the idea that babies can't fit]. The maternal pelvis is a very well-constructed and flexible body structure in late pregnancy."

"The predictive ability of amniotic fluid volume as an indicator of anything for an otherwise healthy pregnancy is extremely low. There's just not evidence to support it."

"It just defies logic that half of women get an artificial version of a hormone that the body normally produces during labor."


(Ellen Hodnett, professor of nursing at the University of Toronto, member of the Cochrane Collaboration's Pregnancy and Childbirth review team, qtd in Pushed, p. 10-13)
Alright... now I'm going back to my book. You probably don't need me to tell you to expect more quotes over the next week or two. ;-)

No comments: