Monday, February 2, 2009

Douladom

I'm finally doing it, my friends. It was the summer of 2005 when I first started exploring the world of doulas and felt myself being called to join their ranks. I've continued longing for it ever since, but it just never felt like the right time and the trainings were cost-prohibitive. Well, the time has come.

Fortune smiled on me a few months back when I was interviewing home birth midwives. One of the midwives I interviewed happened to also be a doula trainer, and she mentioned to me that she was offering a free doula training in February! She decided to offer it as a service to the community and only asked that the participants promise to use their training to give back to the community as well. She was also offering it as a way to spread the word about a really cool group she was involved in starting: the BEEP Movement. BEEP stands for "Better Educated and Enlightened Parents." It's "a grassroots movement founded by mothers, fathers, and professionals dedicated to guiding families to the best information regarding pregnancy, birth, and parenting" (according to the Yahoogroup page). I was totally excited to find out about the training workshop as well as the BEEP Movement.

So, over Valentine's day weekend, I will spend all day everyday learning the doula's art. And I can't wait to start using the skills I learn to help other moms experience beautiful births! In the meantime, I'll be spending some time on the DONA website refreshing my memory about the certification requirements, etc.

P.S. Tomorrow morning I eat jelly beans. :-)

4 comments:

Fig said...

I love that you'll be walking around talking about beep movements all the time. What a fun acronym!

This is a sad happy post for me, because while I'm thrilled for you, I will be bummed out when I don't get to have you for MY doula. But really, congratulations and good luck!

Anonymous said...

I found this when I googled "Beep movement."

I just wanted to say that I am going to be at that doula workshop as well. I think it is so great how they are offering it for free to help women out.

Anonymous said...

Congrats! You'll be a great doula with your knowledge and passion for healthy birth.

I would like to do this at some point as well. Thanks for the motivation.

The Fifes said...

i love that you are so passionate about it. Those you help will be so blessed. Good luck with the jelly beans!